I recently purchased Motorola A768i phone. I wanted to use it for some time before I gave a review so now the time may be perfect, I have used it for around 2 weeks.
[update: The volume issue is solved, the side keys do change volume, thanks vishnu, although I had learnt that already from the manual.]
To make is easy to read I categorize the review in to these categories.
(holding it like those TOI images;-))
Design & Hardware:
- I liked the design mostly. Considering the device has a weight of 120 grams, its packed quite well in to a slim body.
- The flip works well. It automatically switches off the phone display on closing it.
- The display screen size is quite good for most practicle purposes.
- One of the side buttons allow you to see the time/battery/signal strength keeping the flip closed. That is a cool nature.
- The loudspeaker functionality is great.
- The memory(58 MB user space) look sufficient for most practicle purposes.
- The worst thing with this phone is the BATTERY. It drains out very fast.
- I feel the hard reboot key is not suitably places at there are chance of it getting pressed accidenly when kept in your pocket.
- Although I haven't felt the need of a key pad. I read somewhere that application requiring key board input are not usable with this phone.
- The camera looks excessively bad in quality. Not only its resolution is small (320x240) the photos look dark( for some unknown reasons). For any photography freak this sucks.
- This phone host Linux which was one great reason for me to buy it. I wanted a Linux PDA for long.
- Supports Linux/JAVA applications. ( I have tried neither of them)
- Bluetooth/Ir/USBLAN based sharing are great feature for sending data to and fro from PC to phone and phone to phones.
- Music formats supported are : amr and mp3 (default player), Video Formats supported are: 3gp
- Moreover you can set any music file as ringtone. So you can save money you had to spent for downloading ringtones from your service provider.
- Full screen display is supported with video. and Audio player works well even after flip is closed(this is intitutive but even then it is good).
- Some usefull apps like File manager, Calender, Alarm, Notepad, and most importantly Pixcel browser are provided. Picsel browser may not have a very intitutive GUI but the functionalities are great, I can easily read HTML files with western-characters.
- Contact book is more or less good.
- Multitasking works well, you can open many apps at same time. You can note down something while talking to someone on the same phone!!!
- The default media player application is not good. Real player should have been a great replacement.
- Again Real Media format support would have been great.
- I am not sure but sometimes I feel the speakers don't work well. (something is buggy will verify and write it in details),