Pages

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Using Digital Camera with Linux

I recently bought( or say got) a Kodak DX7590. 5MP camera. I will review that later. But the point of this post is that I am able to dump photos to my Fedora Core 3 box without any extra installation or compilation or rather say any hack. Just plug and play, you might say.

This article http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/01/06/digicam.html
which seems to have been written just 4 days ago by Robert Bernier worked as my guide. It a good read. To summarize I will just put down the basic commands.

gphoto2 --auto-detect ;# to see if your camera got recognized.

gphoto2 --list-cameras ;See the list of supported cameras (similar cameras shud also work)
gphoto2 -L ;# list all files in the camera.
gphoto2 --get-all-thumbnails ;# get the thumbnails
gphoto2 -P ;# to get all the photos;
gphoto2
-p 1,3,4 ;# get selected photos where indexing
is based on output of -L option.

gphoto2
-d 1,3,4 ; # delete selected photos where indexing
is based on output of -L option.
Digicam seems to have similar support for Digi cams and seems to have a better GUI, I am trying to build it from CVS. I hope I will not have any reason to use Windows now.

No comments:

Post a Comment